The TESOL Compass is a project of several graduate students in the MA TESOL program at Ohio Dominican University.
The mission of the TESOL Compass is:
- To advocate for the MA TESOL program
- To encourage fellowship among our students
- To promote involvement in the Columbus ESL community
The Student Body by Numbers (Fall 2012)
A survey of students in ODU’s TESOL program showed some interesting trends. Of the students surveyed,
- 84% are female;
- 26% are nonnative English speakers;
- 65% work full time; 29% work part time;
- 45% have childcare responsibilities;
- 48% currently teach ESL;
- 58% work or plan to work in K-12; 61% work or plan to work in higher education or adult education*;
- 84% are pursuing an MA; and 52% are pursuing licensure or endorsement.*
*Note that there is some overlap; several students are interested in teaching in various settings, or are pursuing multiple qualifications at ODU.